October 1, 2016 – September 30, 2017
Get a free energy appraisal from NorthWestern Energy*, gain increased awareness of your energy use, and learn energy efficiency and conservation strategies to reduce your energy use and save money.
Compare your energy use to that of your neighbors and energy efficient homes to see where you stack up, and be eligible for monthly $100 Downtown Dollars gift cards and two grand prizes of $1000 to your favorite local home improvement store! The Neighborhood Association with the greatest collective savings will win a neighborhood pizza party!
Did we mention it's FREE? And EASY!
Energy savings are a proven way to put money back into the household budget, and in turn the savings stimulate the local economy. It’s a winning combination of a green, healthier community, stronger local economy, and improved quality of life.
The City of Bozeman has partnered with WattzOn (an online energy management platform) to make it easier for you to save energy and money with:
- Automatic utility bill tracking
- A personalized plan of activities
- Tips to lower your energy bills
- Information on available resources and rebates
- Custom monthly emails with detailed energy use data and low- or no-cost energy reduction strategies.
How it Works
- The Energy Smackdown is open to any Bozeman area resident (both homeowners and renters); only residents within the city limits are eligible for monthly and grand prizes
- Participants will link their NorthWestern Energy utility account to the WattzOn Energy Center. The Energy Smackdown will automatically track progress by uploading utility data each month for the duration of the competition, taking the hard work out of understanding your energy use
- Participants will have access to the Bozeman Energy Smackdown online and mobile platforms, create a personalized and trackable plan of activities, receive monthly emails with detailed energy usage, recommendations, and savings tips to reduce home energy bills
- Participants must join a group (Neighborhood Associations, City of Bozeman Residents not represented by a Neighborhood Association, or Residents Outside of Bozeman City Limits)
- The Energy Smackdown includes individual data; comparisons to a typical home, energy efficient home, and other competition participants; and savings for the City as a whole
Save Money, Earn Prizes!
Each month, participants will be eligible to win $100 Downtown Dollars gift cards, and the two greatest energy savers will each win a $1000 grand prize to their favorite local home improvement store! The Neighborhood Association with the greatest collective savings will win a neighborhood pizza party!
- Participants must join a group to be eligible to win prizes
- Only Residents within the City of Bozeman city limits are eligible to win prizes
- At the end of the year, grand prize winners will be selected based on the greatest overall % reduction
Tips & ideas from our monthly winners on how you can start saving (& winning) too!
- NorthWestern Energy E+ Home Energy Audits
- City of Bozeman Municipal Climate Action Plan
- Energize Montana: Energy Information Resources from the MT Dept. of Environmental Quality
- Energy Star
- MT Weatherization Center
- Transition Town Bozeman
Thanks to our Program Partners!
The Bozeman Energy Smackdown is a City of Bozeman initiative, sponsored by the Montana Department of Environmental Quality and NorthWestern Energy.
*NorthWestern Energy provides free energy appraisals to residential utility customers to identify electric conservation opportunities and a greater understanding of how their operation and maintenance strategies can affect their utility charges. Some restrictions apply. Call (800) 823-5995 for details.