Upon being hired, all officers begin with three weeks of initial training covering various topics.
Montana Law Enforcement Academy (MLEA) Basic Program
- All entry level officers attend the basic program which consists of 12 weeks of academic and physical training.
- All lateral officers from other states must submit their certifications and pass an equivalency program to be exempt from attending the basic program.
- All lateral officers certified in Montana are exempt from participating or attending any portion of this program.
- MLEA website
Field Training and Evaluation Program (FTEP)
- All officers participate in a 14-week field training program, partnering with experienced field training officers (FTOs).
- Lateral officers will begin this program immediately after the initial training.
- Entry level officers will begin this program after graduating from the MLEA Basic Program.
All officers must successfully complete a one-year probationary period to continue their employment with the Bozeman Police Department.
All officers receive ongoing training and certifications in numerous areas and disciplines.
Specialized Duty Training
Officers assigned to specific duties or tasks within patrol receive training unique to their duty.
This includes training specific to such duties as Field Training Officer, Mountain Bike Officer, Motorcycle Officer, Special Response Team member, Senior (Intoxilyzer) Operator, Crisis Intervention Team member, and numerous others. It also includes opportunities to be trained as a departmental instructor in such things as firearms, defensive tactics, Police Vehicle Operations Course, and numerous other disciplines.
Specialized Assignment Training
Officers assigned to other units or assignments within the department receiving training unique to that assignment. This includes such positions as Property Crimes Detective, Crimes Against Persons Detective, School Resource Officer, Community Resource Officer, and Missouri River Drug Task Force Detective.
Officers who are promoted within the department receive training regarding that position. This includes training such as first line supervision classes, the "sergeant academy," the Montana Executive Leadership Academy, and the FBI National Academy.