April Topics Update:
The UDC revisions scheduled for April will be heard at the Zoning Commission meeting on July 14, 2020 and at City Commission on August 3, 2020. Agendas for each advisory board will be published with all associated materials for each amendment. Agendas are available not less than 48 hours prior to any meeting and are available at the bottom of the City’s main web page in the calendar section.
Your Community, Your Code
This platform is intended to catalog your ideas on how to improve Bozeman's Unified Development Code and provide an opportunity for community engagement.
What is the Unified Development Code?
The Unified Development Code (commonly called the "UDC") is a set of regulations aimed to protect the public health, safety and general welfare. These regulations recognize and balance the various rights and responsibilities relating to land ownership, use and development. The UDC is just one chapter of the Bozeman Municipal Code but it covers a wide range of topics such as setbacks, building height, allowed uses, landscaping, affordable housing and parking. Some regulations apply city-wide while others are district-specific.
What is the Community Platform?
We agree with Mark Twain that "Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection." Our development regulations need to be adaptable to address the evolving needs of our growing City. This Community Platform is the place to provide your input about the rules and regulations that impact Bozeman’s built environment. Proposed edits will be sorted and batched on a biannual basis for the City Commission to take action in April and October. Comments regarding queued edits will be curated and posted per topic.
The UDC is a living document that needs continued maintenance by its citizens. Thank you for participating.
- R-O Zoning Revisions
- allow short term rentals and encourage a more diverse commercial framework, including small scale retail and walk-in services
- ADUs in R-1
- make it easier for community members to build detached ADUs in the R-1 district
- Alley Signage
- provide businesses in the Downtown District bonus signage along alleys
- Annexation Policy - Water Rights Acquisition
- give the City more administrative flexibility in acquiring water rights during the annexation process
- Street Vision Triangle
- allow site specific flexibility in determining street vision requirements
- Maximum Building Heights
- increase the maximum allowable building heights to encourage infill and density
- Definition of a Bedroom
- develop a clear definition of a bedroom which is a standard of measurement used in the code
- Expedited Infill Subdivision Procedures
- remove barriers to subdivide already developed land in order to encourage infill and density
- Improvements and Guarantees
- update the code to incorporate current best practices
- Water Conservation
- enable developers to use more innovative approaches to water conservation and give more administrative flexibility to enact review processes
Click on the Links Below for More Information on Each Topic
- Affordable Housing
- Wireless Facilities
- Wetlands. Floodplains & Watercourse Setbacks
- Alterations to State Law
- Neighborhood Conservation Overlay District
- Annexation Policy
- Short Term Rentals
- Infill Standards
- Alcohol Licensing
- Public Utility Facilities
- Fiber Conduit Installation
- Lodging Definitions/Clarifications
- PUD Performance Points Update
- Special Residential Block Frontage Requirements
- Issuance of Demolition Permits
- Floor-to-Ceiling Heights in Commercial and Mixed Use Zoning Designations
- Open Space Dimensions for Alley Loaded Lots
- Allowable Uses In B-2
- Lot Width Requirements for ADUs in R-4
- Amendments Regarding Accessory Dwelling Units
- Definitions of Front Setbacks
- Low Density Residential Setbacks
- Blank Wall Treatments
- Legalize Xeriscaping
- Allow Context Sensitive Irrigation Choices for Parks
- Street Frontage
- Site Plan Review
- Park & Recreation Requirements - Dog Park Requirement
UDC INPUT FORM
Do you have an idea that's not listed above? Please fill out the form below.