Short Term Rentals (STR)

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


After more than a year of public review and 1,000 public comments, the City Commission adopted regulations for Short Term Rentals (formerly known as extended stay lodgings or vacation rentals). The new regulations took effect on December 1, 2017.

All new Short Term Rentals must comply with the new regulations. Previously approved extended stay lodgings must comply with the new regulations as they need to renew licensing with the City or other agency.

Short Term Rentals are only permitted within lawfully permitted dwellings and building and fire codes apply in addition to the STR regulations.


The new regulations include an opportunity for existing users who may not be presently approved to seek approval subject to the new regulations. Depending on the zoning district your property is located in, a conditional use permit may be required if the property was not previously approved as an STR. Additional information on registration is included in the frequently asked questions section.

The online Short Term Rental Registration Portal registration portal is now available.

 Additional items to consider 

The City of Bozeman registration process does not address every issue which may be applicable to operation of a short term rental, including but not limited to taxes, insurance, health code, and other legal issues outside of the City’s regulations. Persons interested in having a short term rental should also check mortgage or lease/rental terms, home owner covenants, and insurance policies as standard homeowner's insurance may not cover short-term rental use. Check to make sure you have adequate home, personal property, and liability insurance. If you have tax, insurance, health code, or legal questions please consult an appropriate professional. The City of Bozeman does not advise on issues related to short term rentals other than its own regulations.


View full size mapping application HERE


Short Term Rental FAQs

Expand/Contract Questions and Answers

  • Can I get an accommodations license from the city?

  • Can I transfer my approved short term rental to another person?

  • Do I need to renew my registration?

  • File Upload: What files will be accepted?

  • How do I grandfather in my short term rental?

  • How do I know what type of short term rental I am?

  • How many people can stay in my short term rental?

  • How much does it cost to license a short term rental?

  • How will I know if my STR has been approved?

  • My house was inspected recently as a new construction (Occupancy) – do I still need a fire inspection?

  • What documents do I need to apply for short term rental registration?

  • What else should I consider before operating a STR?

  • What happens if I don’t register my short term rental?

  • What if I can’t find the payment button?

  • What if my address isn’t listed when creating a license?

  • What is a Conditional Use Permit (CUP) and do I need one for a short term rental?

  • What is required for my safety (fire) inspection?

  • What kind of short term rental is allowed in each zoning district?

  • What terminates the approval of my short term rental?

  • When can I register my short term rental?

  • When can I schedule my safety (fire) inspection?

  • Where do I get a public accommodations license?