City of Bozeman Business License Updates:
Effective January 30th, 2018, business license fees were changed to a flat fee of $50.00 for all new and renewing standard business licenses. This excludes Medical Marijuana, Mobile Vending and some specialty license types
Business Licenses no longer include Short Term Rentals (STRs). Please visit our STR Page to read about the new registration process.
Business License Requirements
The City of Bozeman requires all businesses operating within city limits to have a valid business license. Read more about City of Bozeman's Business License process in the MuniCode.
- Registered Non-Profits
- People under the age of 18
- Property Managers with less than three rental units (Vacation Rentals do require a License)
Before you Open a Business
Review the Brochures and FAQ page to find out more about operating in Bozeman.
ZoningCheck enables you to quickly screen locations for new businesses.
Contact Community Development at 406-582-2260 or email@example.com if you need help determining where you can legally operate your business.
Applying for your Business License
- Complete the appropriate Business License Applications (below)
- Submit your Business License Application
- Mail: PO Box 1230 Bozeman, MT 59771
- In Person: 20 East Olive Bozeman, MT 59718
- Upon approval display your Business License in your place of business. Business licenses are valid for 12 months from the date your application was processed.
Helpful Tips & Reminders:
- Submit home-based business acknowledgement form for home-based businesses within City limits.
- Commercial businesses, please submit a copy of your DRIVER'S LICENSE with your application.
- You may not receive your Business License immediately. Your Business may be required to receive inspections and must be approved by various departments within the City. Once approved, we will mail your license to you.
**Processing time for these types of licenses (examples include commercial locations and mobile vending applications) take an average of 2-4 weeks.**
- Some Businesses need to also be licensed through the City/County Health Department. To see if your business qualifies, visit the City/County Permits and Licensing Web Page.
Fire Inspection for Commercial Locations
If you are newly licensing a commercial location or changing commercial locations, please submit your application and schedule a fire inspection through Bozeman Fire's schedulicity.com page. You must have submitted a business license application with payment prior to this step.
**Please reference your business license number (found on your receipt) when scheduling. If your appointment does not reference a license number, it may be cancelled without warning.**
Is your Business Moving or Changing Ownership?
- Change in commercial location requires a new license application indicating change in location, $50 fee, and a new fire-safety inspection for the new location.
*Please note that the Certificate of Occupancy for new Construction does not count toward a safety inspection for business licensing.
- Change in address (mailing or physical) for home-based or out-of-city-limits based businesses can be indicated on the business license application by checking the box at the top of the form for "change in business location." No fee is required.
- Change of ownership requires an application indicating transfer of ownership, a $10 processing fee (plus applicable renewal fees if license is at or near expiration), and a copy of the new owner's driver's license.
- Change in business name can be indicated by checking the "change in business name" box at the top of the business license application. No fee is required for this change.
- Other Changes or Inquiries please contact us at 406-582-2260, Option #5 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all other Licenses, please visit the Finance Department’s License Page.