Business License Requirements
The City of Bozeman requires all businesses operating within city limits to have a valid business license. Read more about City of Bozeman's Business License process in Ch. 12 of the Bozeman Municipal Code.
Exceptions (No License Required):
- Registered Non-Profits
- People under the age of 18
- Property Managers with fewer than three long-term rental units
Licensing for Other Operations:
- Short Term Rentals ($250 Annual fee; $225 Fire-Safety Inspection fee)
- Mobile Vending ($250 Annual fee; Downtown license additional)
- Medical Marijuana ($150 Annual fee)
Before you Open a Business
Review the Business License Brochure to find out more about operating in Bozeman.
Contact Community Development at 406-582-2260 or email@example.com if you need help determining where you can legally operate your business or explore our Community Development Viewer for zoning and other information.
Applying for your Business License
- Complete the appropriate Business License Application (below)
- Submit your Business License Application
- Mail: PO Box 1230 Bozeman, MT 59771
- In Person: 20 East Olive Bozeman, MT 59718
- Upon approval display your Business License in your place of business. Business licenses are valid for 12 months from the date your application was processed.
Fire Inspection for Commercial Locations
If you are newly licensing a commercial location or changing commercial locations, please submit your application and schedule a fire inspection through Bozeman Fire's Schedulicity Page. You must have submitted a business license application with payment prior to this step.
**Please reference your business license number (found on your receipt) when scheduling. If your appointment does not reference a license number, it may be cancelled without warning.**
Helpful Tips & Reminders
- Submit home-based business acknowledgement form for home-based businesses within City limits.
- Commercial businesses, please submit a copy of your DRIVER'S LICENSE with your application.
- You may not receive your Business License immediately. Your Business may be required to receive inspections and must be approved by various departments within the City. Once approved, we will mail your license to you. Processing time for these types of licenses (examples include commercial locations and mobile vending applications) may take 2-4 weeks.**
- Some Businesses need to also be licensed through the City/County Health Department. To see if your business qualifies, visit the City/County Permits and Licensing Web Page.
- Additional Resources: Bozeman Chamber of Commerce and City of Bozeman Economic Development.
Is your Business Moving or Changing?
- Change in commercial location requires a new license application indicating change in location, $50 fee, and a new fire-safety inspection for the new location.
*Please note that the Certificate of Occupancy for new Construction does not count toward a safety inspection for business licensing.
- Change in address (mailing or physical) for home-based or out-of-city-limits based businesses can be indicated on the business license application by checking the box at the top of the form for "change in business location." No fee is required.
- Change of ownership requires an application indicating transfer of ownership, and a copy of the new owner's driver's license for commercial locations.
- Change in business name can be indicated by checking the "change in business name" box at the top of the business license application. No fee is required for this change.
- Other Changes or Inquiries please contact us at 406-582-2260, Option #5 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For all other Licenses, please visit the City of Bozeman Finance Department’s License Page.