The City of Bozeman Solid Waste Division offers yard waste compost collection services from May through August of each year to current garbage collection customers. We try to pick up through September but if we are short on man power or equipment fails we may not make it through to the end of the month. For exact dates of service, please call us at 582-3203 or watch the local paper for service start-up announcements. We will collect yard trimmings from current garbage collection customers at no additional cost, but please note that containers should weigh less than 35 pounds.
Items we WILL Collect
- Grass clippings
- Leaves small branches (pencil in diameter and smaller)
- Garden waste
Items we WILL NOT Collect
- Sod, dirt, rocks
- Animal feces
- Large branches (more than ¼ inch in diameter)
To participate in the compost collection program
- Place your yard trimmings in plastic or metal cans that are clearly labeled "COMPOST", Brown paper "compostable paper bags, (available from local hardware stores), or open plastic bags.
- If your garbage collection takes place in an alleyway, your compost pickup may be any day of the week and might be a different day than your normal garbage pickup day. Please have your compost out and ready at your pickup location by 7 am on Monday of each week.
- If you have curbside (front of house) pickup, please have your compost out at your curbside collection location by 7 am on your normal garbage collection day.
Please call us at 582-3200 if you have any questions or to find out how to arrange for a suitable temporary container for disposal of large branches and tree trimmings.
If you don't want to leave your compost and yard trimmings curbside, they can also be taken to the Bozeman Convenience Site on Story Mill Road for a small charge. This site is open Tuesday through Saturday from 8 am to 3:30 pm.
Lawn and Garden Project – Large Compost Dumpster
Have a lot of yard waste or doing a large clearing project? We can deliver a large compost dumpster to your residence and take it away at your convenience.
Fill your dumpster with compost or brush only, using the same collection guidelines as the above. You will pay only for the amount of the actual contents of the dumpster. Charges are as follows:
- $7.5 per cubic yard of materials in the dumpster. Example: A six cubic yard dumpster, filled half full, would only bill for three cubic yards which is $22.50.
- Want to keep the dumpster for a week or more? The dumpster rental is $2/day after seven days of use. There is no charge for the dumpster rental up to seven days.
When you are done with your dumpster, simply call us at 582-3236 and we'll come pick it up.
For more information or to have a compost dumpster delivered please contact our foreman at 582-3236.
The Convenience Site is operated by the Gallatin County Solid Waste Management District and can be reached at 587-7890.
The City of Bozeman Solid Waste Division offers containers on a temporary basis for the disposal of brush and larger tree trimmings. The brush and tree trimmings are taken to the Bozeman Convenience Site on Story Mill Road and are chipped and recycled.
Brush and tree trimming containers are offered at a reduced rate to City of Bozeman customers. Please call us at 582-3200 to arrange for an appropriate container for your needs.