Business License Requirements
The City of Bozeman requires all businesses operating within city limits to have a valid business license. Read more about City of Bozeman's Business License process in the MuniCode.
- Registered Non-Profits
- People under the age of 18
- Property Managers with less than three rental units (Vacation Rentals do require a License)
Before you Open a Business
Review the Brochures and FAQ page to find out more about operating in Bozeman.
ZoningCheck enables you to quickly screen locations for new businesses.
Contact Community Development at 406-582-2260 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help determining where you can legally operate your business.
Applying for your Business License
- Complete the appropriate Business License Applications (below)
- Submit your Business License Application
- Mail: PO Box 1230 Bozeman, MT 59771
- In Person: 20 East Olive Bozeman, MT 59718 - Please note the office is closed 2pm - 4pm Thursday
- Upon approval display your Business License in your place of business. Business licenses are valid for 12 months after the date of issuance.
Helpful Tips & Reminders:
- Submit home-based business acknowledgement form for home-based businesses within City limits.
- For commercial locations & vacation rentals, submit a copy of your driver's license with your application.
- You may not receive your Business License immediately. Your Business may be required to receive inspections and must be approved by various departments within the City. Once approved, we will mail your license to you.
**Processing time for these types of licenses (examples include commercial locations, vacation rentals and mobile vending applications) take an average of 4 weeks for the license review process.**
- Some Businesses need to also be licensed through the City/County Health Department. To see if your business qualifies, visit the City/County Permits and Licensing Web Page.
Is your Business Moving or Growing?
Contact us at 406-582-2260 or email@example.com so we can provide information on how to update your license.
For all other Licenses, please visit the Finance Department’s License Page.