Business Licenses

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

City of Bozeman Business License Updates: 

** Effective January 30th, business license fees will be changing to a flat fee of $50.00 per license for all new and renewing business licenses. 
** Business Licenses no longer include Short Term Rentals.  Please visit our STR Page to read about the new registration process.

 Business License Requirements

The City of Bozeman requires all businesses operating within city limits to have a valid business license. Read more about City of Bozeman's Business License process in the MuniCode.


  • Registered Non-Profits
  • People under the age of 18
  • Property Managers with less than three rental units (Vacation Rentals do require a License)

Before you Open a Business

  1. Review the Brochures and FAQ page to find out more about operating in Bozeman. 

  2. ZoningCheck enables you to quickly screen locations for new businesses.

  3. Contact Community Development at 406-582-2260 or if you need help determining where you can legally operate your business.

Additional Resources: Bozeman Chamber of Commerce and City of Bozeman Economic Development.

Applying for your Business License

  1. Complete the appropriate Business License Applications (below)

  2. Submit your Business License Application
    • Mail: PO Box 1230 Bozeman, MT 59771
    • In Person: 20 East Olive Bozeman, MT 59718 - Please note the office is closed 2pm - 4pm Thursday

  3. Upon approval display your Business License in your place of business. Business licenses are valid for 12 months from the date your application was processed.

Helpful Tips & Reminders:

  • Submit home-based business acknowledgement form for home-based businesses within City limits.
  • Commercial businesses, please submit a copy of your DRIVER'S LICENSE with your application.  
  • You may not receive your Business License immediately. Your Business may be required to receive inspections and must be approved by various departments within the City. Once approved, we will mail your license to you.

**Processing time for these types of licenses (examples include commercial locations and mobile vending applications) take an average of 2-4 weeks.**

Fire Inspection for Commercial Locations

If you are newly licensing a commercial location, please schedule a fire inspection through Bozeman Fire's page.  You must have submitted a business license application with payment prior to this step. 

**Please reference your business license number (found on your receipt) when scheduling**

Online scheduling

Is your Business Moving or Growing?
  • If your commercial location is moving, it will require a new license application and fees so that inspections can be completed on the new location. 

  • Change of ownership requires a transfer of ownership for a $10 fee to utilize the remaining life of an existing business license with same commercial location.

  • Contact us at 406-582-2260 or for any questions regarding updating a license.

For all other Licenses, please visit the Finance Department’s License Page.


Applications and Compliance Documents