Community Affordable Housing Advisory Board (CAHAB)
Agenda & Materials for 6.13.18
- Date: 06/13/2018 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
- Location: City Hall - Commission Room
121 N Rouse Ave
Bozeman, Montana 59715
Community Affordable Housing Advisory Board
June 13th, 2018 | 8 AM | City Hall Commission Room: 121 N. Rouse Ave, 59715
A. Call meeting to order
B. Changes to the Agenda
C. Public Comment
Please state your name and address in an audible tone of voice for the record. This is the time for individuals to comment on matters falling within the purview of the Committee. There will also be an opportunity in conjunction with each action item for comments pertaining to that item. Please limit your comments to three minutes.
D. Minutes for Approval
E. FYI #1
1. Update from Affordable Housing Program Manager Matt Madsen.
Update will include: administrative manual update; RFP for housing needs assessment and housing plan development; short term affordable housing ordinance update; other program updates.
F. Action Items
1. Discuss the Bozeman Area Chamber of Commerce “Housing Position Statement” and decide what response (if any) CAHAB should recommend to the City Commission. (Thane)
2. Develop a plan for recommending to the City Commission that Habitat for Humanity affordable housing be placed on City-owned property surrounded by Oak Street, Laurel Parkway, and Saxon Way. (Thane)
3. Discuss whether to recommend to the City Commission that money from the Affordable Housing Fund be used to accelerate the engineering and design work for the extension of Fowler Avenue in order to provide land upon which affordable housing could be constructed.
4. Budget for Community Affordable Housing Fund – next fiscal year (FY19) proposed budget. (Director of Community Development Marty Matsen)
G. Non-Action Items
1. Affordable Housing Ideas (Thane)
a. Require anyone who demolishes existing dwelling units in order to replace them with higher-end units to provide an equal number of dwelling units to replace the ones removed at a cost or rent equal to the cost or rent of the units being removed. Optionally, a fewer number of units at a proportionately lower cost or rent may be provided.
b. Tap the bed tax fund, the rationale being that low income folks provide the labor for hotels and motels and other segments of the tourist industry
c. Provide a TIF incentive or similar to employers who provide affordable housing for their employees.
d. Property tax exemption for affordable rental properties (Do through land trust?)
2. Discussion of whether to request that the City Commission require that Affordable Housing Plans be reviewed by CAHAB
3. Discuss the possibility of having a presentation at a future CAHAB meeting by Ken from HRDC and CAHAB's Brooke Anderson to provide details regarding how housing assistance applicants are qualified, what funding is available to them, how sources of down payment assistance are prioritized and provided, and factors that affect the mortgage payment that buyers obtain.
H. FYI #2 / Discussion
- HRDC monthly update (Heather Grenier)
- GAR Gallatin Assoc. of Realtors Summary (Hattie)
- Habitat for Humanity monthly update (Magistrelli absent - cancelled)
- Community Affordable Housing Fund monthly financial update (LaMeres)
- Other FYI, CAHAB Member updates, and future agenda items
For more information please contact Brian LaMeres at email@example.com
This board generally meets the second Wednesday of each month at 8:00 AM
Committee meetings are open to all members of the public. If you have a disability and require assistance, please contact our ADA coordinator, Mike Gray at 582-3232 (TDD 582-2301).