The Bozeman Police Department generally conducts hiring processes twice a year. During each hiring process, both entry level officers and lateral officers are typically hired. The hiring processes for entry level and lateral police officers are a little different and are explained below.
Entry level police officers are those with no prior sworn law enforcement experience.
1. Entry level candidates must first participate in the Montana Law Enforcement Testing Consortium (MTLETC) before applying. This testing consists of written tests and a physical abilities test. If successful with both, the candidate will be placed on an eligibility list. Visit www.mtletc.org for more information.
2. Eligible entry level candidates must then apply at www.bozeman.net/jobs when the hiring process opens. After a screening process, candidates will be notified whether they will be continuing in the process.
3. If continuing in the process, candidates will participate in oral interviews and additional testing during the testing week for that process.
Lateral level police officers are experienced, certified police officers who have worked for other law enforcement agencies either in Montana or another state.
1. If not POST certified in Montana, lateral candidates should first refer to the Montana Department of Justice Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) office for additional information and requirements for applying as a lateral police officer.
2. Eligible lateral candidates must then apply at www.bozeman.net/jobs when the hiring process opens. Lateral candidates do not need to register with the MTLETC to apply. After a screening process, candidates will be notified whether they will be continuing in the process.
3. If continuing in the process, candidates will participate in written tests, a physical abilities test, oral interviews and additional testing during the testing week for that process.
If moving on in the process after the above testing, all candidates will also be required to pass a psychological examination, a substantial background investigation, a physical examination, and an eye and ear test before officially being hired.
Application for Probationary Police Officer for The Bozeman Police Department
Refer to these links for more information regarding the hiring process and working for the Bozeman Police Department:
Bozeman Police Protective Association contract
City of Bozeman benefits
Montana Police Officers Retirement System information
Montana Law Enforcement Academy
Montana Physical Abilities Test video
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or want any more information.